Virginia DUI Attorney
If you need, or think you may need, a Virginia DUI Attorney, you have come to the right place!
The Wilson Law Firm is a criminal defense firm built from highly qualified attorneys. We have constructed this site to provide information to assist our public in Virginia DUI defense. We recognize that our firm may not be the best fit for everyone; however, we encourage you to educate yourself prior to discussing particulars with anyone.
First, it is important to know with what exactly you have been charged. “I’ve been arrested for a DUI!” Great! Now what exactly does that mean?
- What is the difference between DUI and DWI?
- Did you submit to a blood or breath test?
- If you refused, was your refusal “unreasonable”?
- What evidence does the Commonwealth of Virginia need to prove you guilty?
- What penalties are you facing if convicted of a driving under the influence?
- What penalties are you facing if convicted of an Unreasonable Refusal?
Once you understand the charge, you will likely be asking: “What are my chances? What is going to happen?” Many people will attempt to predict your outcome based on their personal experiences; however, it is impossible to predict the outcome of any criminal case – each case is completely unique and there are just too many variables. A qualified lawyer will not predict the outcome of your case; rather, he or she will discuss with you the potential defenses:
- The initial stop of the vehicle
- Field Sobriety Tests
- Preliminary Breath Test
- Probable cause for arrest
- Certificate of Analysis-Blood or Breath Test
Analyzing the potential for such defenses in your case will be the job of the attorney you select. So, what should you do now? Regardless of your guilt or innocence, your financial situation or your desire to hire an attorney; there are several things you can do now to put yourself in a better position as your pending case approaches:
- Document the situation to the best of your ability
- Consult with a lawyer
- Pre-enroll in VASAP
- Obtain a copy of your driving record
- Gather commendations
Consulting with a lawyer is not difficult. There is a long list of criminal defense firms who offer free consultations. You can find advertisements in the phone book, online, at your local gym or grocery store or church bulletin. Most of these firms will talk with you and provide you with feedback on your case. The difficulty arises when you attempt to qualify each attorney and their ability to defend each particular cases. How does one choose a lawyer?
- Do not rely upon an attorney’s claim to be competent in driving under the influence defense.
- Use your common sense – an attorney cannot specialize in several areas of law.
- Eliminate any attorney who has not completed training on the standardized Field Sobriety Tests.
- Eliminate any lawyer who has not completed training on Preliminary Breath Test devices used in Virginia.
- Eliminate any lawyer who has not completed training on the new breath test machine used in Virginia – the Intoximeter ECIR II.
- Eliminate any attorney who has not completed training on both laboratory and hospital alcohol testing.
- Eliminate any attorney who tells you how the case will turn out or suggests you plead guilty in your initial conversation.
- Eliminate any attorney who has not won Virginia drunk driving cases at trial.
- Eliminate any attorney who does not regularly attend at least one NATIONAL conference devoted exclusively to driving under the influence defense.
- Eliminate any attorney who has been disciplined by the Virginia State Bar.
If you feel The Wilson Law Firm may be the best fit for you and your situation, please feel free to contact us to discuss representation with one of our experienced attorneys.